Tuesday, January 4, 2011

30 Day Blog - Day 4

A Habit That You Wish You Didn't Have

I have a few habits I'd like to change but probably the one that would make my life much easier is not feeling the need to take charge of other people's business. (Dennis says it's not fair to say I wish I didn't have this habit because I enjoy doing it.) Okay, so I'm trying to learn not to butt in quite so much. I really got in trouble at work this year for trying to be "to helpful" i.e. "usurping responsibility." One of my co-workers has been trying to teach me to say - "It's not my problem" even though I instantly feel the need to step in and fix the problem. I know that I have stepped on many people's toes and I have to apologize. I'm trying to work on it but it is a challenging work in progress.

I've tried to pin point while I feel the need to take charge/be in control/butt in.... what ever you want to call it. It might have come from being the oldest of four in a home with a handicapped mother and an overwhelmed father. I felt I was expected to solve the problems or get the job done. I'm not sure if that is the cause but it seems likely.

So, if you see me going into action, feel free to tell me that, "It's not your problem!"

No comments: