Here are the top 10 things I loved about being home last week.
1. Being Home
While my American friends here were skiing in Switzerland, cruising in the Mediterranean, and touring in Egypt, I got to come home and sleep in my own bed and be with my family and friends. That is truly a blessing!
2. Seeing Andrew and Lindsay get married
It was a fabulous day and a very special event. They were so happy and their happiness was contagious. Everything was perfect, from the weather, to the decorations and food. Andrew and Lindsay did a great job, with a little help from their parents, in planning and preparing for the event.
3. Having all the kids home
Our family has grown a lot recently and it was fun to have a full house once again. We never had a chance to all sit down together and visit or play games, but everyone came and went and I got a chance to visit and play with some of them. The girls and I had some fun times shopping and going out to eat and working on Lisa's wedding. It was also fun watching them enjoy their time together.


4. Being with all our extended family
I have to say I have been blessed with wonderful relatives. My parents and Dennis' parents are so supportive and loving. Any time we need anything, they willingly get it done for us. They are the best. We also have great brothers and sister, nieces and nephews, and aunts and uncles that do so much for us. Everyone was so great to pitch in and help out in any way they could.
5. Being with Kara
My little sis lives in Atlanta and I don't get to see her much. It was wonderful to be able to spend a couple of days with her even though it was really crazy and busy. Just having her there was great!!

6. Visiting with friends
I have so many wonderful friends and I was able to see a bunch of them and spend at least a few minutes with a bunch of them. They are so much fun to be with and we had a lot to catch up on.

7. Knowing great people who can help make things happen
There were several things that I needed to get done in a very timely manner. First off, I needed someone who was willing to drop everything and get the quilt I had made for Andrew and Lindsay quilted and bound. Jean Briel came to my rescue on the quilting issue. I dropped the quilt off on Monday morning and she had it done by Wednesday afternoon. Then the Relief Society President in our ward, Lori Wood, took it and did the machine binding on it and about 8 of my Relief Society sisters got together Thursday night and did the hand stitching.
The dress I had ordered on-line needed more altering than I was capable of in a short amount of time so another talented friend, Elizabeth Smith, came to my rescue and in 24 hours had it altered and steamed and ready to go.
We needed to have our accountant do my Family Trust taxes in the few days we were home. When I called from Holland, they told me his first possible appointment was April 7th. When I explained our situation, they said to bring them in on Monday and they'd see what they could get done. They had them done by Wednesday evening!
8. Being able to read and talk in English
You know, when you are in America, it is no big deal. But I really am handicapped here. From simple things like reading instructions on how to prepare a packaged food, looking up something in a phone book, or finding the right kind of cold medicine, to knowing what in going on in the community, talking to doctors or knowing what different road signs say or mean when you are driving. It's a challenge.
9. Surprises!
I had so many friends and family show up to the reception that I haven't seen in a long time. It was so fun! I went a bit crazy a time or two. I felt bad that I couldn't spend more time visiting with them when they had come from so far.
10. Going out to eat at most of my favorite restaurants
We got to eat out almost every meal. Our family and friends fed us well but we also got to go to Chili's, Cafe Rio, Firehouse Pizza and Bajio. Next time I have got to do Chinese! I really miss going out to favorite restaurants. I've had some new and different foods here but nothing that I'm anxious to have again.
2 comments:
Hooray! I agree with these. Being around family was wonderfully refreshing. I miss all those fabulous people!
The wedding was beautiful. It was wonderful to see your family there. We miss you!!
Post a Comment